Friday 3 March 2017

Challenging a comfort zone with a comfort zone...

Ok.  This blog has been on my mind for a while.  So much so that it's been sat in 'draft' format for a number of weeks...  Some of the images here, posted along with my ramblings, I have held onto.  I don't know why really.  I like them.  But I have been nervous to share.

I enjoy a good ol' selfie, but these somehow feel different.  I felt more exposed and vulnerable.  That's crazy really because they portray a part of me that has become a norm in my life.  A part that I'm actually very proud of.  That's my personal health and fitness journey.

I go the gym fairly often now.  I'm there at least 3 or 4 times a week - I'm a class bunny.  I hop around various classes - and like many aspects of my life and me,  I don't fit into one exercise box.  I love Zumba and Clubbercise, really enjoy Yoga, I have recently discovered that I quite like a Spin class, Free Weights and Kettlebells are fun and (as you can see from the pics) I throw myself into a bit of Boxercise too.  

This journey began almost 5 years ago.  My youngest was coming up to his first birthday and I wasn't quite the heaviest I'd ever been, but I wasn't too far off.  I'm not going to include 'the number', that's irrelevant, all that matters is that I wasn't happy with how I felt.  My family matter and I wanted to be the best version of me that I could be for them.  I wanted to be a healthy parent.  In body and mind.

I'd suffered earlier in my life with a lot of anxiety and depression. I continued to suffer after the birth of my eldest and medicated my way through my second pregnancy too.  By the time I had my youngest I was pill free, but finding it difficult to maintain a good hormone balance to keep me on the straight and narrow.  I had, between baby 2 and baby 3 focussed a huge amount on eating healthily and making time for me - that had been working, slowly, but was working.

So in spring 2012 I signed my brood up for a family membership at the gym, got the MyFitnessPal app on my phone and basically haven't looked back!  As time went by I found myself again.  The gym was (and still very much is) my 'me' time.  I love it.  It's funny because my younger self would NEVER have imagined that I would fall for the gym as much as I have.  It's now my lifesaver.  My husband and I were even having a conversation last night about how I can tell when my mood is dropping or I'm going through an anxious 'moment' - it usually coincides with a drop in my exercise, for whatever reason.  I do still get anxious over stuff - I feel that's normal, just a part of me and I cope now.  But when I first signed on the gym dotted line, little did I know just how much this would mean for me mentally.

The images that follow mean a lot to me I guess - they're now just 'a woman in gym gear'.  They're a representation of my growth.  My journey to health and the continual path I try to follow to keep myself the best version of myself I can be - for myself and everyone who means anything to me.

EDIT: I really should say a huge thank you to the instructors and friends from both the gyms I have been a member of and my running pals too.  So (and I hope I don't miss anyone out!) Village leisure and running: June, Sarah, Mark, Antny, Steph, Kirsty, Helen and Faith.  Invigor8 gyms: Kirsty, Andi, Helen, Barb, Dave, Kirsten, Sophie, Su, Jules, Lisa, Toni...  I think that's everyone!  You guys push me when I don't want to be pushed and have grown to become friends of mine.  I couldn't thank you enough.  And also my husband - your support is the most incredible gift I could wish for.  I love you!


I'll stop babbling now though and post the pics.  Thanks for reading this far peeps.

Best wishes,

x Fleur x


(PS - the trick to seeing better quality versions of the images is to click on them... Cheers loves!)















5 comments:

  1. you work very hard and I am very proud and glad you enjoy your classes with me and the rest of the instructors keep it up x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Dave! I really appreciate that. xx

      Delete
  2. Fleur, you have no idea how much of an inspirational woman you are. Your spirit and enthusiasm spurs me on. You always manage to put a smile on my face. The gym and classes are a huge part of my lifestyle change which started three year ago. I've been through the highs and indeed the lows. I attend some of the same classes as you plus a few more too and I enjoy every single one of them. Never did I believe I would hear myself say I'll just nip to the gym to fit a sneaky run in. How my life has changed. I have met some wonderful people on my journey all of whom I am now proud to call my friends. Keep doing what you're doing Fleur, you rock, chick!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This posted as anonymous, so I'm afraid I have no idea who you are. But I'm so happy to read your comment. My heart is beating so fast right now. Whoever this is - thank you. Your words truly mean the world. xx

      Delete
    2. And please accept my apology for not responding earlier - I only saw this upon writing a new blog - Blogger didn't email me any notification. xx

      Delete