Wednesday 8 March 2017

What the Davies' do: 'Mummy and Daddy shared Ludlow!'

Here we go with the second instalment of my 'What the Davies' do' feature.

Today's episode comes as a shock.  It's a documented day that I never thought would happen.  Here's why...

Ludlow, the very beautiful market town found in Shropshire, has been, for the last 3 years, the choice location for my Husband and I to celebrate our wedding anniversaries - kid free!  I first discovered this lovely town on a different trip with girlfriends and I knew I'd want to go back with Carl.  So we did, in August 2014, 2015 and 2016.

When we visit we take full advantage of our wonderful children being almost 100 miles away with grandparents and spend our time eating, drinking and sleeping.  With the odd walk thrown in for token exercise.  We purposely book into a cheerful travelodge for a few nights so we have more in our cider and ale budget.  Oh, and I'll just point out that the travelodge is a 20 minute walk from the town (pubs) so we're not complete unhealthy louts.  And sometimes that 20 minute walk, after a few ciders can be nearer an hour - plenty of fresh air!

Ok, I am joking - a little bit...  But ultimately, our time in Ludlow has been adult orientated.  It is a great place and so relaxing it's untrue.  We love the castle, and the long walks by the river.  On our last trip we found The Ludlow Kitchen too - amazing smoked salmon brunch and my husband speaks very highly of the granola dish.  Yum.

So on our past trips we had decided that probably, we would never take the kids.  

Skip forward to January 2017.  We'd just got back from a great family holiday and time was fast forwarding towards the school half term.  What days out would we plan?  We also had made the decision that this year may be the first that we don't get to Ludlow for our anniversary (boo!).  However, with good reason - we've a ton of house and work developments planned, so the lovely travelodge, pies, cider and ale budget is most probably going on bathroom furnishing.

Now I don't want to brag here, but I am pretty good with planning family days out.  I google the shizzle out of it and plan our time well.  I must've had an epiphany on the day I decided we would do Ludlow - all together - just for a day.  Because it was ace!  The kids (and me and Hubs) loved it.

We left early and arrived at the Ludlow Kitchen around 10am - a hearty brunch all round.  Then on into town for a walk along the cobbles up to the castle.  Well, once the lady at the gate mentioned to my youngest that he needed to "Keep a watch out for the dragons." he was hooked.  The girls loved exploring too.  Afterwards we took a walk down to the river and along the Bread Walk - one that Carl and I have done so many times in the summer, so it was funny seeing the place in it's winter clothing. Still beautiful though.

We spent a good 5 or 6 hours exploring Ludlow as a family.  Ultimately - the kids loved it.  And what do you know, Carl and I loved showing them everything too.  Even if it did mean, instead of walking in, we walked past The Feathers and The Church Inn and The Rose & Crown....  But you know, on the flip side - bathroom furnishings!

Thanks for reading peeps.

x Fleur x

(PS - the trick to seeing better quality versions of the images is to click on them... Cheers loves!)





































2 comments: