Friday 18 March 2016

Pencils, babychinos and toast: a documentary with my younger daughter...

It only seemed fair to document this.  A previous post shows some stolen (and preserved) moments with my eldest daughter while she enjoyed toast and jam at one of our favourite places to eat.  So when Poppi asked for a date morning with me, requesting breakfast out, I thought it was a great way to continue this series.

Poppi has always been content with me taking her picture.  And I've always told her that she should act like I'm not - "just be yourself sweetness."  And she has.  So much so that the photographer at my brother's wedding last autumn remarked on how he thought she didn't like the camera because she wouldn't look at him.  I had to correct him that she's fine with it - just not used to looking down the lens and more used to Mummy being the one at the other end.  He then knew to just ask for her attention if he wanted it.

But these are the moments I love.  I know many will argue that there needs to be connection - the eyes give that, but I like to observe - people watching is something I enjoy.  So naturally for me I lean towards shooting for the details of the moment, especially when it's my own kids and they are so used to it.  It's like a warm blanket.  It's comforting.  And the outcome is something we can treasure forever together and they can show to their children too.  "This is how Mummy sees me."  "Mummy wanted to remember these moments." "This is me being me."

And Poppi being her is so delicate.  She's a pocket rocket and will give everything and anything a go with full force and gumption when she's ready.  But she is equally reserved and quiet in her mannerisms and movements.  Particularly dextrous for her age and has always had a flair towards working things out slowly before diving in.  This is shown to me in the way she holds her cup at the edges - fingers outstretched, dainty, not clumsy.  And how she takes small bites from her carefully marmaladed (word?) toast, surveying where to take the next bite from....




So I give you:  Pencils, babychinos and  Marmalade toast:
A documentary with my younger daughter.



Please note:  I am having a breakfast date with my son soon - expect the last part of this series in due course!












Thanks for looking ~ Fleur x
www.fleurlouisephotography.co.uk





No comments:

Post a Comment